Tallboy 12,000lbs earthquake bomb
1944, Stratosphere Chamber, On long term display
Designed by Barnes Wallis for Vickers-Armstrongs at Brooklands during World War Two, the 12,000lb 'earthquake' bomb was used successfully against the German Tirpitz battleship and other important targets. About 1,000 Tallboys were manufactured with a special cast steel body and metal alloy tail section. Three different ‘earthquake’ bombs were designed and were initially known as Tallboy ‘L’, ‘M’ and ‘S’. The ‘L’ design later became ‘Grand Slam’ which, at 22,000 lb (9,979kg), was the largest of Wallis’ wartime weapons.
This particular 'Tallboy' was displayed for some years in a recreational park in Heathfield, East Sussex, before passing into private ownership. It was donated to Brooklands Museum in 1999.
Data: Length: 21ft (6.4m); Weight 12,000lb (5,443kg).