1920, Clubhouse, On long term display
Martinsyde, a local company, was founded in 1908 as an aircraft manufacturer and by the end of WW1 was Britain's third biggest plane producer. After the war, like others in the aircraft industry, they went on to produce motorcycles.
Starting with these v twin engines, they also produced smaller capacity machines and had some success in races at Brooklands.
A fire at the works in 1922 added to financial problems and production ceased in 1923.
Loaned by the British Motorcycle Charitable Trust