Rolls-Royce Avon RA26
1951, Stratosphere Chamber, On long term display
This engine was originally one of four fitted to a Vickers Valiant ‘V’ bomber. 107 Valiants were manufactured at Brooklands between 1951 and 1957 and were the first of the ‘V’ bombers to enter service.
Over 11,000 Avon engines were produced between 1946 and 1974 and it powered aircraft in RAF service right through to 2006 when the last English Electric Canberra was retired. It was purchased or built under licence by a number of other countries including the USA, Australia, Belgium, France and Sweden.
Loaned by Rolls Royce Heritage Trust
Thrust: 10,000 lbf (44 kN)
Compressor: 15-stage axial
Turbine: 2-stage axial