Cowley Flat Twin
c1910, Brooklands Aircraft Factory, On long term display
This unusual early aero engine was used by Miss Lilian E Bland in the ‘Mayfly’ as she became the first British woman to design, build and fly her own aircraft.
In late 1913 the engine was sold to the Windsor Model Aircraft and Gliding Club and used in the construction of a biplane. One of the key members of the Club was the young Sydney Camm, who later became Chief Designer with Hawker Aircraft Ltd and designed many successful military aircraft including the Hurricane and Hunter fighters
These engines were built by the Cowley Engineering Company of Bolton, Lancashire, from 1909 to a design by Maurice and William Edwards. The design was produced in different sizes from 20bhp (two cylinder) to 60bhp (six cylinder) and was competitively priced at between £125 and £350. AV Roe marketed these engines under the 'AVRO' name - which was often cast on the crankcase.
Loaned by the Royal Borough Collection, Windsor
Type: Flat Twin
Power: 20bhp (15kW)
Size: 125in3 (2L)
Bore: 4in (102mm)
Stroke: 5in (127mm)