1921, Campbell Shed, On long term display
The Wolseley 10 ‘Moth’ debuted at Brooklands in 1921, racing in order to advertise their standard cars. The car was driven by Captain Alastair Miller, who named the car ‘Moth’ after a troupe of chorus girls he was friendly with. Despite a crash in its first race, the 1921/22 season saw the ‘Moth’ gain 54 Brooklands certificates, of which 44 were class records. In 1922, Capt. Miller took the first British 24 hour ‘Double Twelve’ record
Wolseley first entered the motor racing arena in 1902, shortly after being acquired by Vickers, and continued until 1905. With Napier, they were the only British representatives in continental races. Using the expertise gained from building fighter engines during WW1, and under the new Joint Managing Director A.J. McCormack, Wolseley re-entered motor racing in 1921 with The Wolseley 10 ‘Moth’. Despite bigger, later model Wolseley's, the Moths proved faster and continued to race, taking podium positions until 1930, including a first and second place win in the 1923 BARC Easter meeting, with Woolf Barnarto first in ‘Moth 2’ & Capt. Miller in ‘Moth 1’ second.
Both Moths were lost after 1935, until John End discovered the engine of the original Moth in Cornwall, in 1970. His working reconstruction, including a replica body and radiator, took three years.
Loaned by John End