1900, ERA Shed, On long term display
This car was a part of the ‘International Horseless Carriage Corporation’ Collection operated by R G J Nash at Brooklands in the 1930s. This Peugeot features in the original 1930s brochure and has travelled on a number of London to Brighton Veteran Car runs. The collection was hired out for filming and commercial use but was dispersed after bomb damage in the 1940s.
Peugeot is the second oldest car manufacturer in the world and is still controlled by the founding family. In 1890, after meeting Gottlieb Daimler and Emile Levassor, steam was abandoned in favour of a petrol-fuelled engine built by Panhard-Levassor under Daimler licence. The car was very sophisticated for the time, with three-point suspension and a sliding-gear transmission.
In 1896 Peugeot started using their own engine and by 1900 they were the biggest car manufacturer in Europe. From 1906 there was a cousin marque called Lion-Peugeot, but this was re-integrated in 1910. In 1974 Peugeot acquired Citroen, and in 1980 they took over Chrysler's French and U.K. businesses – Simca, Hillman, Humber and Sunbeam-Talbot.
Loaned by Richard and Mary Nash