Elva 100 Formula Junior
1959, Jackson Shed, On long term display
Engine: 980cc DKW/AUTO UNION. Chassis No. 100/34
Designed and built by Frank Nichols in Hastings in 1959, this car was originally delivered to the USA and has raced throughout America and Europe including Spa and Monza in the Lurani Trophy Races. It was acquired by the family of the current owner in 1999, and is occasionally used in historic races.
Formula Junior was the entry level for single seat racing from 1957 to 1964, when Formula Ford took over, and was introduced by Italian Count Lurani to train Italian racing drivers for Formula 1. The system was rapidly adopted throughout Europe and the U.S.A.
About 200 of the Elva 100 were built most of which were sent to the U.S.A. A small number had the D.K.W. 2 stroke engine fitted, the usual installation being the BMC Morris Minor engine.
Drivers that began their careers in Formula Junior included Jim Clark, Geoff Duke, Juan Fangio, Denis Hulme, Innes Ireland, Roy Salvadori, John Surtees and even the Brooklands test pilot Dizzy Addicott (who raced an Elva DKW).
Loaned by John Ferris