Alvis Clinkard Special
1953, Jackson Shed, On long term display
This car was originally built by the gentleman racer Lt. Commander Clinkard with assistance from Bradfield Engineering in Essex. It utilises an Alvis engine, transmission and front suspension. The chassis, rear suspension and body are all purpose built. The chassis is constructed of two main oval tubes braced by smaller tubes and panels. This is known as ladder construction and was typical of the time.
The car was used in sprints, hillclimbs, and circuit races throughout Europe, including the Ramsgate Speed Trials in April 1956 where Clinkard achieved a 2nd Best Time of the Day award. In 1965 the car was converted to hydraulic brakes and in 1974 Koni telescopic dampers were installed.
The car was mechanically restored in 1984 for its new German owner. Sold in 1986, it ran in several US events such as the Wine Country Classic before returning to Germany where it was stored for 10 years.
Recently purchased by a new owner, it is planned that the car will be restored to running order and raced in the U.K.
Loaned by John Ferris.