Alvis Front Wheel Drive
1928, Campbell Shed, On long term display
Commander J.B. Rooper of the Royal Navy took delivery of this car in 1928. It had been intended for the 1928 Tourist Trophy Team, but it was not completed in time for the race. In 1929 the car raced twice at Brooklands. Rooper sold the car in 1930 but the car continued to race at Brooklands and elsewhere. This car is one of 150 which were produced between 1928 and 1931, 35 of which are believed to have survived.
1481 cc, 4-cylinder overhead cam (originally with Supercharger) Engine layout reversed with gearbox and differential in front. Inboard front drum brakes Rear beam axle with leading arms and leaf springs. Although it started life as a production supercharged ‘Tourist Trophy’ model, it had the supercharger removed and twin carbs installed. The large scuttle fuel tank holding over 20 gallons, as raced by John Rooper, has also been replaced.
1929, 2 Brooklands Automobile Racing Club Handicap races, achieving an average speed of 96 mph in one.
1930, race at Brooklands by Edward Farley.
1931, Junior Car Club Double Twelve Hour Race by Farley and Philip Fotheringham-Parker