BMC 420WF 'AVGAS' Refueller
1968, Motoring Village, On long term display
Built by BMC/British Leyland in 1968, this unusual airfield vehicle has no known BMC identity and was never registered for road use. It is fitted with a BMC diesel engine and was converted from a standard BMC chassis/cab to a 500 gallon 'Avgas' aircraft refueller by Gloster Saro of Hucclescote, Gloucestershire, with their serial no. PT 1592.
It was delivered new to Hawker Siddeley Aviation Ltd at Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey, in 1968. It acquired the Hawker Aircraft Ltd equipment number 'HAL 9541' and was used there until Autumn 2000 to refuel visiting and resident light aircraft. No other vehicles of this type are known to be preserved or in service elsewhere. Donated to Brooklands Museum (after de-commissioning of fuel tank) by BAE Systems (Operations) Ltd on 27/10/2000, it retains its original blue/yellow Hawker Siddeley colour scheme and is preserved in running order.