Outer Circuit and Finishing Straight
The original circuit, which opened in June 1907, was designed by Col. H.C.L. Holden to comprise a large banked oval circuit bisected by a finishing straight.
In order to ensure safety at high speeds, the 2 ¾ mile long track was 100ft wide with two long straights joined by two sections of banked curve up to 30ft high. The track was built from unreinforced concrete which proved not to be robust enough and required continual repairs.
The Finishing Straight is a convention borrowed from horse racing (along with terms such as Paddock, Clerk of the Course and handicapping) designed to bring the excitement of the end of a race to the crowds centred around the grandstands and Clubhouse.