UPDATE: The London Bus Museum will be closed from 10am-2pm today. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Search

Behind the scenes with HR apprentice Alex

11 February 2022

"Accepting the position of HR & Volunteering Apprentice at Brooklands Museum was the best decision I could have made for my career and future".

Having been torn between the idea of going to university and the idea of going straight into the world of work, an apprenticeship provided the perfect solution – a challenging and exciting combination of the two. My apprenticeship has given me the opportunity to mix self-studying and learning with real world experience in an office setting. I get practical training experience from experienced professionals whilst at work, and I also get knowledge based training from my tutor. Before I started my apprenticeship I was worried that it would be too much to take on, but actually it has been the perfect balance. 

No two days are the same - I’m constantly learning new things and being given the opportunity to put these new skills into practice. I’m given independence and the opportunity to take charge of tasks that I have made my own, whilst also being offered support and guidance where it’s needed. I had been searching for this exact type of role (HR & Volunteering) as I feel most at home when dealing with people, in a more social role, and it has undoubtedly lived up to my expectations. When I saw the job description online I knew that it as the job I wanted as it sounded like a perfect match for me. I spend 20% of my week doing self-study and the other 80% working, which I have found works very well. 

All in all, I have been very lucky to land the role that I did, as I’ve received great support from not just my tutor and my Brooklands mentors and line managers, but also from the Museum team as a whole. It’s been a fantastic company to begin my career with and I couldn’t be more grateful for the opportunities I’ve been given. If anyone else was considering doing an apprenticeship, I would absolutely urge them to try it as it has been nothing but a positive experience for me so far. 

 

For more information about careers or volunteering at Brooklands Museum, email  recruitment@brooklandsmuseum.com