Aircraft Park Structures
Flight Ticket Office
The world's first passenger flight ticket office was built at
According to 'Flight' magazine of 14th March 1911, anyone could book a short flight from this office for a price of two guineas, whereas four guineas bought a flight of three circuits around either Brooklands or Hendon aerodromes. For the more adventurous, a cross-country flight cost ten guineas.
It is unlikely that the ticket office was still used for its original purpose after 1914 but fortunately it has survived to the present day, having been a pilots' reporting office between the wars, and later used for storage by Vickers-Armstrongs.
Today, the Flight Ticket Office is a Grade 2 Listed Building and a
Built by Vickers-Armstrongs to mark the 50th anniversary of the opening of the Motor Course, it was unveiled by Lord Brabazon of Tara in July 1957. The memorial was originally located at the North end of the aerodrome and was designated as a Scheduled Monument in 2002. It was relocated to its current position on the museum site in 2006.
To defend against a potential attack by enemy paratroopers intent on sabotaging the factory, a pillbox was erected close to the bridge across the River Wey which was used to move aircraft from the factory to the airfield.