The Malcolm Campbell Shed. 'The Great Racing Days of Brooklands' Exhibition.
The World Land Speed Record holder Malcolm Campbell built his first shed here in 1926 and extended it in 1931. The building, surviving today, was used by him as office, workshop and showroom until around 1935. It was here that his successful ‘Blue Bird’ racing and world record-breaking cars were often kept, displayed or even built. The building was later taken over by leading motor engineers Thomson and Taylor as a workshop and showroom for Alfa Romeo and Railton cars. Today it houses a collection of racing cars, a driver’s study, an engineer’s workshop and displays of racing club memorabilia, around which the story of ‘The Great Racing Days of Brooklands’ is told.
The ERA Shed – ‘Fastest on Earth’ Speed Record Exhibition
This building is the latest of all the Paddock workshops having been completed in the late 1930s. It was occupied by LBB Motors who needed unusually high external doors to accommodate the double-decker buses that they converted to use diesel. It was also used as a Paddock showroom for the renowned English Racing Automobiles (ERAs). By 1939 it was occupied by the Brooklands Engineering Company, well known for their ‘Martlet’ pistons. The building is now internally linked to the Malcolm Campbell Shed and continues the displays of racing and record cars, motorcycles and cycles. Here the ‘Fastest On Earth, exhibition recalls the countless speed records achieved at Brooklands and pays tribute to the Brooklands drivers, riders, mechanics and engineers who claimed new records across the world.